Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Altec Playback 360 SS Amplifier?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member similost's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 31st, 2007
    Posts
    17
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Has anyone ever heard of an Altec Playback 360 SS amplifier?

    All I have been able to find is an ad for sale on the bay that suggests these are solid state amps from about 1964. It sounds to me like it's an integrated amp from the description I am getting from the person that has it? He said it has a gold face and selectors for different sources.

    I am taking it since I can't find any other information on them they must be pretty rare?

    Any information would be greatly appreciated.

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ February 05, 2008 06:51 PM: Message edited by: similost ]</font>

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec Playback 360 SS Amplifier?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    That would be around 64-64 or so. It was also sold as "Royale", It think I remember a 360a being a "Royale II".

    That was just so long ago. I can't remember much. Don't remember anything negative, so probably a decent unit if it's in good shape.

    The word "rare" makes my skin crawl. None of the older Altec amps are common. Ebayers tend to call everything "rare". Usually that word is followed by ridiculous claims and pricing.

    It's probably an OK unit, as I said. I wouldn't pay a premium for it. There are dozens of thongs I'd rather have, like a pair of Dyna Mk 3's and matching preamp for instance.

    Sorry I can't be more help. I would try IraTec.

    I did find a fellow selling a copy of the service manual, if you want a link to that.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec Playback 360 SS Amplifier?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Hmm- a Freudian slip or similar garment I guess... forums

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Old Guy:
    The word "rare" makes my skin crawl. None of the older Altec amps are common. Ebayers tend to call everything "rare". Usually that word is followed by ridiculous claims and pricing.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You an me both!

    There are dozens of thongs I'd rather have, ......
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wow, I never would have guessed :-)

  5. #5
    Inactive Member similost's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 31st, 2007
    Posts
    17
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the info. Yeah, I guess rare isn't the best of words.. I'm thinking uncommon, or something you don't see many of as far as using the word rare...

    I've decided with the probably unavailability of parts, and the lack of interest in them, and also the probability of early SS not sounding so great, it's something I'm just not interested in.

    I'm also a pro amp kinda person.. Love my EV 2600, which is actually a 9444.. so just not worth the hassle. Nice to learn something new though... Thanks for enlightening me!

  6. #6
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    (shudder) It took a couple of stiff drinks to erase the image of OG in a slip and thong. forums forums

    I don't know if this is the model or not, but in '64 or '65 they had a tube/SS hybrid integrated. IIRC, it had a fairly high count of germanium components, which I'd consider a strike against it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28261621 times.